Style arc Sunny Top, hacked into a dress.
I made a size 12 based on my measurements, but the fitting was WEIRD. It feels really HUGE on me, but the sleeves were so tight that I had to unpick them and add a stroke of fabric at the seams to make them fit… This was my first time making a Style Arc pattern and I was really surprised that their seam allowance was only 6 mm.. Must mean that this pattern is supposed to be sewn completely on a serger? It’s a very small seam allowance in my opinion, even for a serger…
I hacked the Sunny top by adding 30 cm’s (11.8 inch) to the bottom. I did this by moving the bottom seamline 30 cm’s down and filling in the side seams in between. Figured the width of the bottom would be wide enough to walk in, and it did! In the end I used almost 2m of fabric to make this dress.
Also: do you see that seam lines on the right sleeve? When I tried the dress on after I used my serger to stitch everything together, the sleeves were super tight…. Bummer, cause it really wasn’t feeling like the pyjama dress I was hoping it to be. So after a discussion with a friend I decided to add a stroke of fabric, because I didn’t had enough fabric left to cut two new sleeves. In the end this worked out fine, but please check the width of the sleeves on yourself before you cut if you decide to make this pattern.
I think I like this dress. Not sure I like the pattern. Or maybe it’s just my fabric. Anyway. If I make it again, I would take away at least 12 cm’s away around the top part, which would hopefully prevents the dropped shoulders to drop to halfway my arms. I would also add 2,5 cm’s on each side of each sleeve, to make them fit better. And finally I would maybe decrease the curve on the front and back seam. In this fabric it result in just a bit too much dress.